Skip to main content


Listed here are our most frequently asked questions with links to answers.  If you are unable to find your answer here, or need more information, please e-mail us at or leave a message at 209-296-5122.

If you're looking for our specific Parcel Tax Increase FAQ, please visit this page.


 Is a Burn Permit required and how do I obtain one?

Burn permits are generally required from May to November however, those dates can change, depending on the year and weather. Burn Permits are free and can be obtained online.  For more information click here.

- How do I know if it's a burn day or not?

Call 209-223-6246 for an automated message updated every day. 

Are there specific requirements for the installation of water tanks?

Yes. You can find information on our Water Tanks page.

- I'm concerned about weeds and overgrown brush on my neighbors property.  What can I do?

You can contact CAL FIRE’s Camino Headquarters at 530-644-2345 to inquire about inspections.

- I noticed a big sand pile at the fire station.  Can I use that for sand bags or projects?

Short answer is No.  Lockwood Fire shares our property with the County to utilize our Stations for snow and equipment for quick winter season access to keep our roads sanded and safe.  Call the County Public Works Dept. at 209-223-6429 for further info.

- Who services fire extinguishers?

The closest business is Sierra Foothill Fire Extinguisher Service in Ione.  Call 209-274-6600

- Can I tour the fire stations?

Yes.  Anytime you see someone at either Station, simply drop in and staff will be happy to give you a tour.  To schedule a tour, please call 209-296-5122 or e-mail us at

- How much does a Board Director get paid?

Board Directors are elected officials.  They volunteer their time and do not get paid.  If you are interested in serving a 4-year term as a Director, contact us at or call 209-296-5122.

- How do I request a Defensible Space inspection?

All properties within the Lockwood Fire Protection District are within the State Responsibility Area and CAL FIRE has the jurisdictional authority for Defensible Space Inspections. Please call CAL FIRE at 530-644-2345 to request inspections.

Please know, the Lockwood Fire District is happy to come out and conduct a general safety inspection of your home or property. Please contact Station 151 at 209-296-5122 if you would like to ask questions or schedule a safety inspection.

- My insurance was cancelled.  What can I do?

You can find helpful information on our Insurance page.

- How much am I paying for fire protection and where does it come from?

Property owners in the Lockwood Fire Protection District pay $40/year per unimproved parcel and $70/year for improved parcels via your property tax.  Call Amador County Tax Collector at 209-223-6364 for more information or click here to visit their web page.

- What are the requirements to become a volunteer firefighter?

Click here for information on becoming a volunteer firefighter.

- I don't see anyone at the fire station.  Where are the volunteer firefighters?

Lockwood Fire Protection District is staffed by Volunteer Firefighters, however, the District generally has a volunteer firefighter staffing Fire Station 151 from 8am - 5pm, 7 days a week.


Join our mailing list