Skip to main content


Listed here are our most frequently asked questions with links to answers.  If you are unable to find your answer here, or need more information, please e-mail us at or leave a message at 209-296-5122. 

 Is a Burn Permit required and how do I obtain one?

Yes.  Permits are free and required.  Information can be found online here.

- How do I know if it's a burn day or not?

Call 209-223-6284 for an automated message updated every day.

Are there specific requirements for the installation of water tanks?

Yes. You can find information on our Water Tanks page.

- I'm concerned about weeds and overgrown brush on my neighbors property.  What can I do?

Amador County is in the process of creating code to address this issue.  You can contact CAL FIRE Headquarters at 530-644-2345  to inquire about inspections.

- I noticed a big sand pile at the fire station.  Can I use that for sand bags or projects?

Short answer is No.  Lockwood Fire shares our property with the County to utilize our Stations for snow and equipment for quick winter season access to keep our roads sanded and safe.  Call the County Public Works Dept. at 209-223-6429 for further info.

- Who services fire extinguishers?

The closest business is Sierra Foothill Fire Extinguisher Service in Ione.  Call 209-274-6600

- Can I tour the fire stations?

Yes.  Anytime you see someone at either Station, simply drop in and staff will be happy to give you a tour.  To schedule a tour, please call 209-296-5122 or e-mail us at

- How much does a Board Director get paid?

Board Directors are elected officials.  They volunteer their time and do not get paid.  If you are interested in serving a 4-year term as a Director, contact us at or call 209-296-5122.

- Does Lockwood Fire do fire safety inspections?

No.  We do not have the staff required to do inspections.  Call CAL FIRE at 530-644-2345 for inspections.

- My insurance was cancelled.  What can I do?

You can find helpful information on our Insurance page.

- How much am I paying for fire protection and where does it come from?

Property owners in the District pay $35/year per unimproved parcel and $70/year for improved parcel to Lockwood Fire through their property tax.  Call Amador County Tax Collector at 209-223-6364 for more information or click here to visit their web page.

- What are the requirements to become a firefighter?

Click here for information on becoming a firefighter.

- I don't see anyone at the fire station.  Where are the firefighters?

Our firefighters are all volunteers.  Currently they man each Station 2-3 times a week.  When no one is at the Station, firefighters keep rapid response rigs at their homes so they can respond immediately when Lockwood Fire receives a call. 

What does the Auxiliary do and can I become a member?

Anyone in the district can become a member of the Auxiliary.  It's all volunteer and all fun!  Read all about the Auxiliary here and call Sylvia at 209-296-5201 to join.  We are always looking for new members.


Join our mailing list